Monday 15 December 2014

Microwave Meringue

I was surfing the net, as one does, and I came across a video from a British Blog (which I will post when I find it again.) They made Meringues in the microwave.  Luckily I had 2 egg whites in the fridge from a recent cookie dough making spree, I knew that there would be some meringues made with the kids.


Rosie did not want to participate, or course she still wanted to eat the final results. Ladybird and I went about experimenting with it.  We started out with 300g of icing sugar in a bowl and 1 egg white.  Ladybird wanted to add a bit of vanilla to hers which left it a bit goopy, so we had to add in some extra and that worked a treat.  Mixed until it is stiff none sticky dough.  Roll it into a ball about an 1 inch in diameter and then microwave.  

Microwaving will probably take a bit of experimenting, my microwave is 1480W, I dropped it to 70% power for 1 minute.  The first ones we put in the microwave at full power for 90 seconds and ended up with these on the right.  Rosie loved it and asked for more burnt ones.  If burnt is what you are looking for, then cook on high for 90 seconds or until you smell caramelizing sugar, 



Microwave Meringue
Makes about 18 good sized meringues

400g Icing Sugar
1 Egg White
1/2 tsp Vanilla or other flavouring such as peppermint

~In a medium sized bowl, put icing sugar, egg white and flavouring.  

~Mix with a fork until it becomes difficult and then start to mix by hand.  If it is still sticky then add more Icing sugar.

~Roll in to a ball about 1 inch in diameter, place on a paper towel on a plate.

~Lower the power level to 70% and cook for 1 minute.  Remove from the microwave and let cool slightly before removing from the paper towel.


 Simple and delicious, I think I will make Pavlova for dessert tonight.  Enjoy!
K.



No comments:

Post a Comment