Monday 24 December 2012

A Recipe from my Youth



My mum is a fabulous cook, and always had some interesting recipe up her sleeve that she would crack out and it would leave a mark in my memory.  This recipe is one of those lovely memories and the best part is that I actually have a recipe to go along with that memory. 

This is a Sweet Curry Sauce that works really well with chicken and rice.  I bet that it would work well with just about anything but I have use it for chicken with rice, because that is the way that mum did it.

I have adapted the recipe a bit with ingredients that I keep in the house.  I am more likely to have greek yogurt in my house then sour cream or light sour cream.  Plus, I love the extra protein found in fat free plain greek yogurt.

This is not a true curry, since I am sure that real curries would never include ketchup.  Don't let the ketchup keep you from trying this; it has a great flavour.

Sweet Curry Sauce
Makes 4 servings, 2 Points+ per serving.

1 tbsp Olive Oil
1/2 cup Onion, diced (I usually don't measure but use a whole small/medium onion)
2 tsp Curry Powder (I add more when I feel like it)
4 tsp Ketchup 
4 tsp Dry White Wine (I use white cooking wine with tarragon in it)
4 tsp Apricot Jam (I used cloudberry jam since that is what I had in my house at the time, it is also good. Probably any light coloured jam would do)
3/4 cup Fat Free Plain Greek Yogurt.

~In a saucepan over medium, saute the onion in the oil until they are translucent, about 2 minutes.  Keep stirring to keep the onions moving so they do not burn.
~Add curry powder and cook 1 minute.
~Add ketchup, wine, and jam and simmer until reduced by half (this does not take very long.) 
~Add yogurt to the cooked onion and stir.

*You can serve this sauce hot or cold.
*If you want to make it a head of time you can cook it up but leave out the yogurt until you have reheated the onion mixture.

Saute the onions.
After I have added the ketchup, jam and wine, then reduced.

My completed dinner including; 2/3 cup white rice, chicken thighs and carrot parsnip mash.

No comments:

Post a Comment